Is a Low Profile Microwave Right For You?
Posted on 01.26.24
Discover how low profile microwaves provide a fantastic solution for those looking to save space in their kitchen. These modern and sleek alternatives seamlessly blend into your cabinetry, offering a perfect mix of practicality and style. In this blog, we'll cover the benefits, drawbacks, and key features of these units, helping you make an informed decision about the ideal kitchen addition. Additionally, our appliance experts at DeWaard & Bode have picked some featured models you should consider when looking for these units.
Join us as we journey through the world of low profile microwaves, enhancing your cooking experience while keeping things simple and convenient in your kitchen.
What Is a Low Profile Microwave?
A low profile microwave is a sleek and compact kitchen appliance designed to fit seamlessly into your kitchen cabinetry. Unlike regular microwaves that sit on countertops or require ample space, low profile microwaves are built to be installed under cabinets or even over the range. This design not only saves you counter space but also adds a modern touch to your kitchen.
Benefits of Low Profile Microwaves
• Space-Saving: The primary advantage of a low profile microwave is its space-saving design. Perfect for kitchens with limited counter space, these microwaves open up new possibilities for efficient kitchen layouts.
• Aesthetic Appeal: With their streamlined appearance, these microwaves contribute to a sleek and modern kitchen aesthetic. They seamlessly blend into the cabinetry, giving your kitchen a polished and cohesive look.
• Convenience: Placing the microwave at eye level makes it easier to monitor and access your food. No more bending down or reaching overhead; a low profile microwave offers convenience and accessibility.
• Efficient Ventilation: Another notable benefit of most low profile microwaves is efficient ventilation. The built-in ventilation system helps dissipate heat and cooking odors, maintaining a comfortable kitchen environment.
Disadvantages of Low Profile Microwaves
• Limited Capacity: Due to their compact design, low profile microwaves may have slightly smaller capacities compared to their freestanding counterparts. This can be a consideration for those who frequently prepare large meals.
• Fewer Preheat Functions: One common disadvantage is that low profile units often offer fewer preheat functions compared to most over-the-range models. This limitation may impact the variety of cooking options available.
• Installation Challenges: Installing a low profile microwave requires careful planning and, in some cases, professional assistance. It may not be a suitable option for renters or those unwilling to undertake a kitchen renovation.
Are Low Profile Microwaves Worth the Investment?
The decision to invest in these units depends on your kitchen space, lifestyle, and preferences. If space is a premium and you value a modern kitchen appearance, a low profile model could be an excellent investment. However, if you require a larger microwave capacity or have limitations for installation, you might want to explore other options.
Known for its reliability, Whirlpool offers a range of low profile microwaves with various features to suit different needs.
Model: WML75011HB - 1.1 Cu. ft. Low Profile Microwave Hood Combination
Why We Like It:
With a purposeful capacity of 1.1 cu. ft., the WML75011HB microwave accommodates tall glasses, wide plates, and big bowls. The 3-speed, 400 CFM motor class high-performance venting ensures a fresh kitchen by swiftly removing smoke, odor, and moisture. Experience cooking precision with microwave presets for optimal heat and time settings. Clear up the cooktop space with steam cooking, allowing you to steam rice, vegetables, and fish directly in the microwave. Finally, this model offers a turntable on/off option for versatile dish sizes.
KitchenAid Low Profile Microwave Hood
KitchenAid combines style and functionality with its microwave hoods, providing advanced cooking options in a compact form.
Model: KMLS311HBS - 1000-Watt Low Profile Microwave Hood Combination
Why We Like It:
Similarly to our previous model, this KitchenAid low-profile microwave offers a 1.1 cu. ft. capacity that comfortably accommodates various dishes, including mixing bowls and 9" x 13" casserole dishes. The 12'' turntable ensures even cooking, while the PrintShield finish minimizes smudges and fingerprints, making cleaning a breeze. Enjoy the convenience of censor cooking functions, offering presets for popcorn, reheat, soften, melt, and defrost, with a humidity sensor adjusting cook time as needed. The 4-speed fan control allows precise ventilation, and the 500 CFM motor class dual fan ventilation system captures smoke, grease, and odors.
Finding the Right Low Profile Microwave
Choosing the right microwave involves considering your kitchen layout, lifestyle, and aesthetic preferences. A low profile microwave can be beneficial for those with limited space, offering both practicality and style. Evaluate your needs and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.
Are you currently in the market for a new microwave? make sure to explore our entire collection of microwaves for sale at DeWaard & Bode. We offer built-in microwaves, over-the-range microwaves, countertop microwaves, and more! If you have any questions or need some assistance in choosing the best microwave for your needs, make sure to contact us today or visit our appliance store locations in Bellingham or Burlington, WA.
- Induction Vs. Electric Vs. Gas Cooktops: Which One Is Best?
- Which Electric Cooktop Is The Best?
Frequently Asked Questions: Low Profile Microwaves
Are low profile microwaves good?
Yes, low profile microwaves are excellent for saving space and adding a modern touch to your kitchen. They are convenient and offer a sleek aesthetic.
How tall are low profile microwaves?
These microwaves are designed to fit under cabinets and are typically around 10-12 inches in height, making them shorter than traditional microwaves.
What is the purpose of a low profile microwave?
The purpose of a low profile microwave is to provide a space-saving and aesthetically pleasing solution for kitchens with limited space. Unlike traditional microwaves that sit on countertops, low profile microwaves are designed to be installed under cabinets, saving valuable counter space and contributing to a modern kitchen appearance. By placing the microwave at eye level, these appliances enhance convenience and accessibility. Additionally, low profile microwaves often come with features like efficient ventilation, making them a practical and stylish choice for those looking to maximize both functionality and design in their kitchen.
What is the difference between a low profile microwave and a regular microwave?
The main difference between a low profile microwave and a regular microwave lies in their design and placement. A low profile microwave is specifically crafted to fit seamlessly under cabinets, saving valuable counter space and contributing to a more modern kitchen aesthetic. On the other hand, a regular microwave is typically designed to sit on countertops or may require ample space above the stove. While both serve the purpose of heating food, the low profile microwave's space-saving design and eye-level placement make it a practical choice for kitchens with limited space.