Should You Buy an Adjustable Bed Base?
Posted on 11.22.23
Adjustable bed bases have become very popular lately, and there's a good reason behind it. Research indicates that these beds can improve how long and how well you sleep. This is thanks to their capability to lift your head, feet, or both, giving you more sleeping options compared to a regular flat base or foundation.
If you're thinking about getting an adjustable bed base, make sure to go over this guide that our mattress experts at DeWaard & Bode have put together.
What Is an Adjustable Bed Base?
Adjustable bed bases have the ability to modify sleep positions. Whether you are a snorer, have back pain, or simply enjoy reading or watching TV in bed, these bases offer versatility, allowing you to adjust your bed to your preferred position. These bases are often controlled by a remote that allows you to adjust them.
Types of Adjustable Bases
Not all adjustable bed bases are the same. If you are considering getting one, you will probably encounter the following types:
• Traditional Adjustable Bases: This is the most common type and typically comes with basic features like head and foot articulation. This model allows for adjustments to various positions for improved comfort.
• Wall-Hugger Adjustable Bases: Unlike the traditional model, these bases slide back as they elevate, which means they don't shift away from the wall. These are ideal for smaller spaces and maintain proximity to bedside tables.
• Split Adjustable Bases: These beds consist of two separate bases, each designed for individual adjustment. It is great for couples who prefer different sleeping positions without disturbing each other.
• Zero-Gravity Adjustable Bases: These bases mimic a weightless position by slightly elevating both the head and feet. It's believed to reduce pressure on the body, promoting better circulation and relaxation.
Benefits of Adjustable Bed Bases
Adjustable bases offer a range of benefits, promoting better sleep quality and overall well-being by addressing specific comfort and health concerns. Let’s explore the possible benefits an adjustable base can offer:
• Improved Comfort: Adjustable bed bases allow you to customize your sleeping position, providing personalized comfort. This versatility helps alleviate discomfort and allows you to find the most comfortable sleeping posture for a restful night.
• Pain Relief: By adjusting the bed, you can reduce various types of pain, such as back pain, by finding the optimal angle that reduces pressure on specific areas of your body.
• Improved Circulation: Elevating your legs slightly can assist in enhancing blood circulation throughout your body, reducing the chances of waking up with numbness or tingling in your limbs. Better circulation contributes to a more rejuvenating sleep experience.
• Reduced Snoring: Adjusting the bed to a slightly elevated position can help reduce snoring by opening up airways, allowing for smoother breathing during sleep. This not only benefits the snorer but also their sleep partner, leading to more peaceful nights.
• Reduced Acid Reflux: Elevating the upper body can aid in reducing symptoms of acid reflux or heartburn. By sleeping at a slight incline, gravity helps keep stomach acids down, minimizing discomfort and allowing for a more restful sleep without disruptive reflux episodes.
Are There Any Disadvantages to Adjustable Bed Bases?
Adjustable bases offer numerous benefits, and while there are not necessarily disadvantages, it's important to note they cost more than regular beds. They're also heavier and need more maintenance. If you decide to purchase an adjustable bed, make sure to properly maintain it to ensure it lasts a long time.
Choosing the Right Mattress for Adjustable Beds
The key to maximizing the adjustable base experience lies in pairing it with the right mattress. Opt for mattresses designed to flex and contour with the base's movements, such as memory foam mattresses or latex mattresses. Consider factors like thickness and flexibility to ensure compatibility and comfort.
Make sure to read our mattress buying guide “How Do I Choose the Right Mattress?”.
Explore the Best Bed Bases at DeWaard & Bode
If you are ready to invest in an adjustable base, make sure to explore different models, read reviews, and consult mattress experts. If you have questions about these bases and what’s the best model for yourself, make sure to contact the mattress experts at DeWaard & Bode. You can also visit one of our mattress store locations in Bellingham or Burlington, WA. Our team is eager to assist you in finding the right model for your sleeping needs.
Don’t forget to explore our mattress collection. From twin to California king, soft to firm, we offer different styles of mattresses. Shop for innerspring models, memory foam, hybrid, and pillow top mattresses.
Frequently Asked Questions About Adjustable Bed Bases
Are adjustable bed bases worth the investment?
Adjustable bed bases are definitely worth it, especially if you prioritize personalized comfort and improved sleep quality. They offer various sleeping positions that can improve certain health issues, making them a valuable investment for many individuals.
Can I use any mattress with an adjustable bed base?
Not all mattresses are compatible with adjustable bed bases. Flexible mattresses like memory foam, latex, or air mattresses usually work well as they can bend and adapt to different positions without compromising their structure.
Do adjustable bases help with back pain?
Adjustable bases can alleviate back pain for some individuals by providing customizable positions that reduce pressure on the spine. Elevating the head or legs can relieve tension and promote better spinal alignment, potentially reducing discomfort.
What are the disadvantages of an adjustable base?
While adjustable bases offer many benefits, they tend to come at a higher price compared to traditional beds. They might also require more maintenance due to their mechanical components, and their weight can make moving or rearranging them more challenging.
How long do adjustable bed bases typically last?
The lifespan of adjustable bed bases varies depending on factors like usage, maintenance, and quality. Generally, a well-maintained adjustable base can last around 8-10 years or longer.
Are there any safety concerns with adjustable bed bases?
Adjustable bed bases are generally safe to use. However, users should be cautious while adjusting the positions to prevent accidental pinching or trapping. It's advisable to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe usage.